Wednesday 24 September 2014

Mini Reviews ft. Opposition and Gathering Blue


Here's a couple more mini reviews for today.  I was hoping to have a third by now, but I haven't read anything new in time!


★★★★☆
Could You Just Stop Kissing For A Minute?

Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
This was a great finale to a great series.  I loved the pacing in this novel compared to the others - it seemed to go a lot faster, and a lot more seemed to happen.  I was mostly happy with the way it ended, but I did have some issues - (highlight for spoiler:) I get that the Lux books are more about what happens to the characters rather than the world in general, but really, I wanted more detail about how the world was affected.  Also, I was really sad that Dee didn't seem to be as present in the novel.  I feel like she disappeared after the events of Onyx. You already know the other main thing that I had problems with if you've read the caption on the picture.  Often it just felt like the most inappropriate of times for them to be doing what they were doing...
I got attached to a lot of the newer characters in this novel, which was a plus.  As mentioned before, overall I was pretty happy with it!
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
 I'm glad I had been forewarned that this was a companion to The Giver and not strictly a sequel, otherwise I would have been pretty angry about this book!  I still am, a little.  Because though I got very few answers, I got so many, many more questions.  I liked the characters in this book more than in The Giver, but I found this one more predictable - though that didn't really take away from it - and a little slower.  Though I liked her, sometimes I wanted to shake Kira, the main character, because she just wasn't catching on to some things (though I have a suspicion that she knew what was going on but couldn't admit it to herself).  I liked Thomas and Matt too.  Again, I was left with an ultimately unsatisfying ending, and I am dying for Messenger, the third companion novel.
★★★★☆
But WHY?


Have you read either of these?  Do you know if I will find closure in Messenger and Son, or if I will be eternally frustrated?

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't been able to finish Onyx (I put it down a few weeks ago). Unfortunately, the Lux series doesn't seem to be my favorite. I want to be able to read the books anyway (for what reason I don't know xD), but I guess it'll have to wait for a time when I'm in the mood.

    Despite how much I loved The Giver, I actually haven't read any of the companion novels yet! Partially because I know they're not sequels, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot of closure. Please tell me how Messenger and Son go if you read them, and tell me if you think they're worth the read! (: Great mini-reviews, you summed everything up really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you - Onyx was the hardest of the Lux books for me to get into. You definitely have to be in the mood for those books :) They're not everyone's cup of tea.

      I will definitely let you know once I read the last two books! Thanks! :)

      Delete

Related Posts
Back to Top